Are you looking for cheap hosting and domain services?
Namecheap is a company that fully lives up to its name by offering cheap hosting and domain services. It is great for beginners as it requires little investment to get your site up and running.
Since it began in 2000, it has hosted over 17 million domains, making it a major player in the space.
But why is it so popular? Does it offer competitive features at its price point? If so, how does it hold up against its competitors?
After testing it, let us discuss what makes Namecheap stand out and what areas we feel could improve in this article.
Here’s a table of contents to help you navigate the post:
- What Does Namecheap Offer?
- Support & Documentation
- Namecheap Alternatives
- Final Verdict
Namecheap is a company that primarily focuses on domain and hosting services. However, over the years, they’ve expanded their services to become one of the most dominant players in the market.
Now, Namecheap offers WordPress hosting, VPN hosting, shared hosting, email hosting, and dedicated hosting. They also offer website building, marketing tools, and advanced security features, just to name a few.
- Cheap domain and hosting plans
- Free domain in first year hosting plan
- 24/7 support
- Low renewal cost jump
- Free SSL certificate
- Great uptime
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No phone support
- The basic plan comes with limited features
- Interface may be complex for beginners
Now that we have a brief understanding of Namecheap, let’s dive into the details.
What Does Namecheap Offer?
Here’s what we’ll be covering in this section:
When you buy a hosting plan with Namecheap, you will automatically get a free domain as well. But there is a catch: you will not get a tier-1 domain like a ‘.com.’ Instead, you will get domain names like ‘.fun,’ ‘.site,’ or ‘.online.’
The type of free domain you get depends on the type of hosting you subscribe to.
However, if you do not want to use the free domain provided, you can still purchase a .com domain or any other domain from Namecheap at highly discounted prices. For example, a .com domain’s price starts at $5.98, which is still affordable.
However, you will need to renew the domain at the end of the billing cycle, which can eventually add to your overall costs.
Web Hosting with Namecheap is one of the cheapest in the market.
Shared hosting, for example, starts at $1.98 monthly for the Stellar plan. That is less than $50 for a two-year period. To put it into perspective, this is almost the same amount of money you will spend with other popular hosting providers in 1 year.
To sweeten the deal, you can host up to 3 domains on this plan, which is great since most other hosting providers only allow 1 domain to be hosted on their lowest shared hosting plan.
Furthermore, all the shared hosting plans come with SSD storage, offering faster data processing speeds, improved performance, and data security.
Apart from shared hosting, Namecheap also offers other types of hosting plans. Here are 2 of the most popular.
- EasyWP Hosting(WordPress Hosting): Namecheap offers a free 30-day free trial with no obligation for any EasyWP WordPress hosting plan. These packages include cloud storage, auto backups, and 1-click backups.
- Dedicated Hosting: This is often one of the priciest plans for most hosting providers, and it is no different with Namecheap. But again, we see that Namecheap dedicated hosting is still cheaper while offering great features. Some features you can expect with their basic dedicated hosting plan are 8 GB DDR3, two 1 TB HDD, and 100 TB a month bandwidth.
Namecheap can help you migrate your hosting, domain or site to their platform easily and efficiently, ensuring a smooth transition.
- Hosting Transfer: The process ensures you stay online throughout the setup, experiencing very little downtime for your website. Your remaining domain registration time is added to your 1-year renewal, so you don’t lose any time you’ve already paid for.
- Domain Transfer: All you have to do is enter your domain name in the search bar provided to check its transfer eligibility. Then, ensure it meets the transfer requirements and obtain your authorization code if needed. The transfer price for a domain starts at $10.48 for .com domains and $17.98 for .info domains.
- Website Transfer: They ensure your website is migrated within 24 hours with no more than 15 minutes of downtime. If this is not met, your first year is free. For a site transfer, you will have to ask their team for help by opening a support ticket and providing you with details, credentials and hosting requirements.
However, regardless of how effectively a hosting company transfers a site to their platform, it is important to protect your data. One of the best ways to do this is by creating a backup either locally or on a cloud solution.
We recommend you use Duplicator for your local and cloud backup needs. It can help you create scheduled backups, and implement complete site migrations without even installing WordPress to the new destination. Follow our tutorial: How to Easily Back Up Your WordPress Site (Step by Step).
Another area worth reviewing is Namecheap’s site builder. Like its default dashboard, its default site builder looks a little outdated. Even though it offers a drag-and-drop site builder, it still feels a little static.
One thing to keep in mind is that the site templates are limited. Some look outdated and are not mobile-responsive.
Having third-party integration with tools outside Namecheap’s ecosystem can also be challenging.
However, Namecheap also offers a more advanced site builder called Visual. It requires no coding experience and provides step-by-step guides to ensure you are online instantly.
Plus, it can help you create visually stunning mobile-friendly sites with a drag-and-drop format.
Namecheap Visual also comes with a free SSL certificate, analytics, and unlimited visitors. Even though Visual offers a 14-day free trial, you will have to pay $3.88/mo for the personal plan and $8.88/mo for the business plan.
Like most hosting providers, Namecheap also offers basic marketing tools. Here are a few you can take advantage of:
- RelateSocial: Help you manage social media by offering AI-generated social posts, custom AI images, and a free media library. To add to this, you can schedule your posts through a social media calendar. Namecheap also offers basic social media keyword tracking.
- RelateReviews: This helps you manage and monitor your reviews, reply to reviews with templates, monitor mentions, request reviews, and track reviews using AI insights.
- RelateSEO: Get a customized list of SEO tasks with step-by-step implementation guides. Helps with basic competitor analysis and finding the right keywords.
- Free logo design: Browse through hundreds of high-quality logo templates. These templates are fully customizable through Namecheap’s design tool and are easy to import to the site builder.
However, since Namecheap’s marketing features may be limited. It is always important to explore other options to add to what you have at your disposal in your Namecheap dashboard.
Check out AIOSEO, the best SEO WordPress plugin. It can help you improve your Google rankings so that you get more site visitors. At the same time, this SEO plugin can help you improve your content structure so that visitors actually enjoy reading posts on your site.
Dashboard: You can access your Account, Domain List, Hosting List, Email Services, Renewal Management, and Support on the Namecheap dashboard.
However, the dashboard is one area in which Namecheap could improve its ease of use. Its dashboard feels a little outdated and complicated, leading to a learning curve.
For example, to install WordPress to your website with Namecheap, you will need to use Softaculous. Installing WordPress with Softaculous can be complicated as it requires extra steps to complete the task.
While this script installer was popular in the past, most other hosting providers have since moved on from it. They now incorporate simple custom WordPress installation processes.
Even though Namecheap’s default dashboard may seem outdated, its EasyWP dashboard is one of the best and is considered a good cPanel replacement tool.
Automated backups: It also offers 1-click backups and automated backups.
Domain Privacy: One of the best features you will get with Namecheap is Whois Protection. When you register for a domain, your personal information is exposed to everyone, which may lead to people spamming you or trying to con you or even other serious crimes like fraud. Through a partnership with Withheld for Privacy, Namecheap offers lifetime Domain Privacy with a domain purchase. So anytime someone tries to view your personal information, they will see “Namecheap” instead of the details.
Email spam protection: This can scan email addresses, the email messages themselves, and attachments to ensure they are not spam or a virus risk. The best part about this is you can adjust the filters to ensure they target more specific emails while letting through those you feel are more trusted.
To ensure you are always on top of your site metrics and have Google Analytics at your fingertips, we recommend you install MonsterInsights.
MonsterInsights is the best Google Analytics WordPress plugin. It can help you break down complex data into simpler, easy-to-follow information. This can be an added tool you use to gather site information together with Namecheap’s cPanel analytics features. Learn more here: MonsterInsights Review: Is It the Best Google Analytics Plugin?
Support & Documentation
Namecheap seems to have significantly improved its support in the last few years.
Currently, there are two ways to contact their support team: live chat or ticketing.
Live chat seems to be the most convenient way, as an agent will contact you within minutes of sending the message.
Even though they are quick to respond and often give a great reply, some of their answers may not be very in-depth.
Also, they may also send you links directing you to their help pages to get a better answer instead of giving you an in-depth answer on the spot. This may leave you feeling unsatisfied with their support.
Their ticket system is also quite good and easy to use. Namecheap lists the company departments on the first ticketing window so you can send your query directly to the most relevant team. After that, all you have to do is fill out your personal information and the message.
They are also available 24/7 through the ticketing system. However, for a quicker reply, you must register for an account to get a Support PIN that will escalate matters.
Other than ticketing and live chat, you can also access Namecheap’s Knowledge Base, an extensive information collection. The Knowledge Base includes guru guides, how-to videos, and blog articles to help you further without involving support.
Remember, shared hosting is often the cheapest plan for most hosting companies because people on this plan share a server and resources.
With this in mind, Namecheap offers 3 shared hosting plans, with the lowest priced at $1.98. The other two shared hosting plans are Stellar Plus and Stellar Business, priced at $2.98 monthly and $4.98 monthly, respectively.
One interesting thing you will notice is that the Stellar Plus plan offers unlimited SSD storage. While the Stellar Business, their highest-priced shared hosting plan, offers 50GB SSD storage. You may be curious to know why.
With the Stellar Plus plan, you get a 300,000 File (Inode) Limit, reducing the number of files you can upload even if you have unlimited storage space. With the Stellar Business plan, you have a 600,000 File (Inode) Limit, increasing your file limit but limiting storage space.
In both instances, your resources are capped in different ways, making it valuable to understand your needs when selecting a Namecheap shared hosting plan.
- EasyWP WordPress hosting plan Prices: the Stater package begins at $2.91 per month, offering 10 GB SSD storage with visitors capped at 50k. Their largest package, EasyWP Supersonic, begins at $5.74 per month, offering 100GB SSD storage and checked at 500K visitors. Again, these are a fraction of the cost other hosting providers offer for WordPress Hosting.
- Dedicated hosting prices: The cheapest package starts at $54.88 with storage set at 240 GB SSD and 100 TB/mo Bandwidth. The most expensive starts at $148.88 with storage at 4T SSD, 500 GB Backup Storage, and unlimited bandwidth.
Check out this article to learn more about the differences between shared and dedicated hosting plans.
As mentioned, Namecheap is ideal for small businesses and growing sites, even though it can also serve bigger companies.
However, here are 2 affordable hosting alternatives you can also look at, especially if you have a big business or heavy traffic.
With its long history and great WordPress hosting services, Bluehost stands out as an excellent alternative to Namecheap for those needing reliable and affordable web hosting.
WordPress.org officially recommends it, making it a trusted choice.
Even though Namecheap is still cheaper, Bluehost’s plans are also competitively priced, offering exceptional value for your investment.
Its one-click WordPress installation makes it ideal for beginners while ensuring even experts enjoy a quick setup process.
Added to that, Bluehost offers reliable customer support, which includes phone and live chat assistance.
- 1-click WordPress install.
- 24/7 support.
- Reliable page loading times.
- Variety of design, marketing, and support services available.
- Prices tend to rise significantly after the first year.
- Basic plans offer limited storage space.
- Long-term commitment is required for most hosting plans.
Pricing: Starting from $2.95
Check out our Bluehost review here.
HostGator is another solid alternative for Namecheap due to its various unique hosting options, like Minecraft hosting. Their cPanel design makes website management easier, ideal for both beginners and experienced users.
This hosting service offers a wide range of services.
You can opt for shared hosting if you are starting a new site or have a small business. However, they also provide dedicated hosting for large enterprises.
With a 45-day money-back guarantee, you can assess their services and request a refund if unsatisfied.
HostGator offers a 99.9% uptime guarantee, ensuring minimal downtime and contributing to a reliable hosting experience.
Its 24/7 customer support is available through live chat, phone, and email for a better customer experience.
- 24/7 customer support
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- User-friendly interface
- Diverse hosting options
- Renewal costs can be significantly higher than the initial promotional rates
- Does not offer free site migration services
Pricing: Starting from $2.75
Check out our HostGator review here.
Here are additional reviews for hosting services you can also check out.
Namecheap is a hosting company renowned for its commitment to offering cheap domain and hosting services, making it an attractive choice for beginners or those on a budget.
They offer cheap hosting plans, starting at just $1.98 per month, and provide exceptional value with features like SSD storage and the option to host multiple domains on the basic plan.
Additionally, Namecheap offers a variety of premium hosting services, including WordPress hosting and dedicated hosting, and still maintains highly competitive rates.
It may lack a few advanced features that you would expect from a hosting company today and may have a complex interface for beginners. However, affordability, 24/7 support, and impressive uptime make Namecheap a top choice.
If you still have questions, check out the FAQs below.
FAQs: Is Namecheap Really Worth it?
How does Namecheap’s pricing compare to other hosting providers?
Namecheap offers cheap pricing, with shared hosting plans starting at $1.98 per month. By a rough estimate, Namecheap is nearly half the price of most hosting providers. However, while initial costs are low, renewal prices can vary and do increase slightly. Overall, it’s cost-effective compared to many other providers.
How does Namecheap’s support system work?
Namecheap provides 24/7 support through live chat and ticketing. Live chat offers quick responses, but ticketing allows for more specialized assistance. They also have a knowledge base where you can read articles and watch videos to get the answer.
How do I transfer my domain and hosting services to Namecheap?
Namecheap does all their hosting and domain transfers through their support. To transfer, check eligibility, initiate the transfer with Namecheap through their support, pay the transfer fee, and let them do the rest.
What is the significance of SSD storage in hosting services?
SSD storage enhances hosting performance with faster data processing and improved security compared to traditional HDDs, resulting in quicker website loading and better user experience.
That’s it! You are now better placed to make a decision on the best hosting partner for your needs. Once you are done selecting a hosting plan, it is also important to select a CRM like Wix or WordPress that can work well with your hosting provider.
To add to this, check out these articles to learn more about hosting.
- Shared vs. Managed WordPress Hosting (Compared)
- 13+ Best GoDaddy Alternatives for Domain & Web Hosting
- 8 Best Migration Plugins for WordPress (Compared)
The first post will teach you about different WordPress hosting types. The second lists various hosting and domain providers, while the third will talk about migration plugins to help make the process easier.
The post Namecheap Review: Are the Domain & Hosting Services Good? first appeared on IsItWP – Free WordPress Theme Detector.