WordCamp US kicks off this Friday at America’s Center Convention Complex in the heart of St. Louis.
The two-day event is jam-packed with incredible speakers, sessions, and swag. Since the Torque team has been lucky enough to attend every year, we thought would pass along some advice to anyone going this year.
General WordCamp Advice
First, let’s dive into some general advice that applies to any event.
- Bring a water bottle: You will be walking a lot and might not be able to get to a drinking fountain.
- Wear comfortable shoes: There is a lot of standing and walking, so wearing comfortable shoes will make all the difference.
- Introduce yourself to everyone: A huge part of any event is getting to know the people around you. Sit next to someone you don’t know and introduce yourself. You might meet your new best friend or even a business partner.
- Don’t forget about the hallway sessions: Though the main reason to go to a WordCamp is to learn from sessions, make sure to connect with the people around you. A lot of valuable networking can be done in the hallways and at lunch.
Conference Specific Advice
Each WordCamp is different. Although the basics remain the same, every experience is different. That’s why we’ve compiled some tips that are specific to WCUS.
- Don’t miss the State of the Word. Matt Mullenweg’s annual speech is a great overview of the current state of WordPress and where it’s heading.
- Make sure you go to as many talks as possible. There are some really great speakers this year and it would be a shame to miss out on anything.
- If you’re looking for a job or have openings in your company, look for the job board. There you can write prospective jobs on a whiteboard or takedown numbers.
- Participate in Contributor Day. On Sunday you can get together with old and new friends and just work. Find a team you want to contribute to and get working.
- Attend the official WordCamp after party. You worked hard and now it’s time to celebrate WordPress. The official party is being held at the City Museum in downtown St. Louis.
No matter what, you will have a great time at WordCamp US. Get ready to learn and make some great friends. The entire Torque team will be there so make sure to find us and say hi! Look for us at the WP Engine booth to get some limited-edition Torque swag! Can’t wait to see you there!
Do you have any tips for attending WCUS or any WordCamps? Answer in the comments below!